For example, if a sound designer is mixing a scene that’s set in Hong Kong’s international airport, all he needs to do to insert some unmistakeable authentic flavor to the scene is to add a public address announcement in Cantonese about flight departures. Sonically, it’s now 100% correct for Hong Kong.
Languages included are:
Arabic / Asian English / Cantonese (Hong Kong) / Mandarin (China) / Dutch / French / German / Indian (Hindi) / Indonesian / Italian / Japanese / Korean / Malay / Tagalog (Philippines) / Portuguese / Russian / Spanish / Thai / UK English / US English / Ukranian and Vietnamese.
Total audio files – 616. Why isn’t the final tally 506 (22 x 23)? Because we have Asian-accented, UK-accented and US-accented English audio files for all 23 phrases, and all of the phone messages are included as clean and ‘futzed’ versions.
Here are the 23 phrases as used for the UK English audio files:
- Your attention please. This is an airport security announcement. Please do not leave your belongings and luggage unattended. Unattended items will be removed by security. Thank you.
- This is the last call for flight BA311; please proceed immediately to gate D-28.
- This is a drop-off zone only; unattended vehicles will be towed away immediately.
- Flight BA311 is boarding now. Please proceed to the gate immediately and have your boarding pass ready for inspection.
- This is the last call for Flight BA311, please proceed immediately to the gate for boarding.
- This is the last call for the regularly scheduled service non-stop from Waterloo to Guildford via Cobham, departing from Platform 3.
- The train is approaching the station. Please stand behind the yellow line and let passengers alight first before boarding.
- We are now approaching the station.
- Please mind the platform gap.
- Doors Closing. Please stand clear of the doors.
- Doors Opening.
- Going Up.
- Going Down.
- Paging Dr. Delbridge, please come to the Emergency Room.
- We’re sorry, but the caller you are trying to reach is currently unavailable. Please leave a message after the tone.
- We’re sorry, but your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please hang up and try again.
- Welcome to the teleconference. Please enter your 5-digit PIN, followed by the # key
- Thank you. We are connecting you to the teleconference.
- I’m sorry, the PIN you entered is not valid.
- Thank you for calling our customer service hotline. All of our operators are engaged at this time. Your call is important to us, please hold and we will attend to you as soon as we can.
- We have a 5-year-old girl in a pink dress by the name of Gwendolyn. Would her parents please come to the information counter on the ground floor to collect her. Thank You.
- The Fire Alarm has sounded; please exit the building in an orderly fashion through the designated exits.
- The store will be closing in 15 minutes, please proceed to the check out counter with your purchases. Thank You.
The phrases are adjusted to suit each language’s location – for example, for Singapore, the airline flight number is one for Singapore Airlines, for India, the doctor being paged has an Indian name, etc.